I’m anticipating questions about this site, so here’s the short version:

1. It’s a bit ironic that a site about OER in other languages  is in English isn’t it? What about other languages?

Good question. The target audience for this site are actually OER advocates whose dominant language of education and work is English.  However, obviously I’m hoping  that submissions will come from people for whom that isn’t the case.  I’m open for suggestions on whether there’s a good way to tackle this question.  

2.  Some of the submissions aren’t technically OER because they don’t have Creative Commons licensing.  Why do you include them?

As much as it would be so much easier if the entire world thought of OERs in terms of CC licenses, I’m pretty confident that isn’t yet the case.  Having said that, I’m not considering everything on the internet to be open because it’s on the internet.  For example, resources that aren’t explicitly adopting a CC license, but originate from an open university are included.  MOOCS that available if you sign up but are labeled free but not CC licensed may or may not be included. It’s a nuanced work in progress.  

3.  Why should I care about OER in other languages?  How will they be relevant to me?

Here’s a very brief rationale over here.   A longer explanation  (part 2) is over here.  Part 3 is still in development. 

4.  OER is just stuff. Aren’t open pedagogy, open practices what we should be focused on?

I’m with you on the stuff part. But from a linguistic justice, or language status and function perspective, it is necessary to put language front and centre in a broader  OER discussion .  In other words, if you think OERs risk being uni-directional (English to other), or a form of neo-colonialism, and privilege ‘Western’ knowledge systems, then you have to care about and amplify multidirectional OER, de-colonial perspectives and other knowledge systems.  

5. What about OER that aren’t digitized?  Is digitization a difficult endeavour in some contexts?

I’m really interested in this question.  But it’s beyond the scope of what I’m trying to do here.  I really hope that this could be addressed somewhere in a separate project.  

6. What about quality?

I’m of the opinion that the quality discussion in relation to OER is problematic.  Please submit based on your own assessment of why we should know about this particular OER.

7. What kind of outcome are you hoping to achieve?

Broadly, I’d like to create greater awareness and appreciation for the existence of OER in other languages.  I’d like to surface issues that arise when working between other languages and English (eg. the difficulty of running pdf text through a Google translator).  I’d like to surface OERs that should be considered for translation and adaption into English, with the labour being undertaken by those contexts that can most afford it.  

I’d love to see one resource a week for one year being contributed, with contributions coming from a diverse audience.  I hope that you won’t hesitate to contribute at least one time this year.